Pantheism versus henotheism
The ancient Greek word pan means ‘all’. And ‘all’ is conceived as ONE. The word theism derives from the ancient Greek word theos, translated into English as GOD.1 Hence theism is taken to mean the belief in God.2
The ancient Greek word heno means One.3 And theism is again taken to mean the belief in God.4
What the pantheist and the henotheist have in common is the belief that there is only one God, that is to say, they are monotheists.
The pantheist believes that her one God, namely the ALL, rules and therefore creates her5 by applying a set of laws common and therefore natural to all.6
And the henotheist believes that her one God, namely the God of her group7 rules and therefore creates her by applying a set of laws as invented and selected by the group8 and therefore natural9 to those within the horde but unnatural10 to those without.
So the pantheist says: ‘There is only one GOD and IT is the unselected God11 that regulates All!’
And the henotheist says: ‘There is only one GOD, and he (she or it) and whom I’ve selected as my regulator.’12 In other words, ‘There is only one true God! Mine!’
The pantheist believes that all, specifically nature itself is, functions as God localised as niche manifestation.13 Her God is basically the Laws (or traffic code as set of rules) of Nature that affect all in equally.14
And the henotheist believes that her chosen15 set of rules is, that is to say, chosen by herself,16 functions as her one God and who affects all within her horde equally and all without unequally.17
Alternately stated, the pantheist believes in God as the basic Laws of Nature, that is to say, God as Basic Operating System (or B.O.S.S) from and as which all things emerge (i.e. manifest) subject in equal measure to those laws/rules.18 Her voice19 is subtle, soft, insistent, unifying, but rarely heard, for it is apolitical.
The henotheist shouts20 from the rooftop that her one (therefore21) true God, namely the rules package22 she has chosen to regulate her, and hence has chosen her, is her’s alone and superior to all other Gods23 including Pan. Her shrill utterances are wholly divisive and therefore political.24
In the pantheist’s world, all emerged things are inside and, consequently, good.25 From the good things that have emerged Pan’s rules then select the better26 as means of self-upgrade.
In the henotheist’s world, she and the other members of her group choose to run a particular app27 hence are inside and the rest are outside. And because the rest are outside they are a survival threat and so must be eliminate.28
© 2018 by Victor Langheld
1. As will emerge later, the letter sequence G.O.D is best understood as an acronym meaning ‘General Ordering Device’. For ‘general’ read: ‘universal’ or ‘basic’ or ‘ground.’ For ‘device’ read: a machine as set of rules (so Turing), i.e. an algorithm or fractal.
2. In most human hordes, groups, nations and so on G.O.D has been given human attributes, such as compassion, love, mercy, jealousy, hatred, bountifulness and so on, to wit, anthropomorphised to make ITS rule more user friendly
3. ‘One’ or ‘1’ is a user friendly symbol for a, indeed any quantum or whole.
4. In fact in the belief in the rule of one (i.e. mono) Law (as general or specific ordering device). In the case of a locally Specific Ordering Device, hence a cultural machination, the acronym reads: S.O.D. And that is why dotty, because unorganised (meaning poorly ordered) pantheists (i.e. in their role as serfs) regularly tell fanatic henotheist who lord it over them to ‘S.O.D.off!.’
5. She happens as niche relative fractal elaboration of a basic creation (or mutation) and ordering algorithm and which is then subject to selection, i.e. to Trial by Mortal Combat by alternate niche elaborations of the same basic algorithm.
6. In other words, to the pantheist nature is God.
7. Or horde, clan, tribe, community, trades union, team, country, nation and so on; or cluster, compound, aggregation, union and so on.
8. Hence a cultured, man invented God-as-upgraded-rules-elaboration whose intent as cultural super-group organisation is to increase the survival capacity of the group and its individual members.
9. That is to say common, indeed so common and ordinary and eventually automatic that they disappear from everyday consciousness.
10. Hence disruptive and producing relative survival capacity decrease (and signalled with unhappiness) and causing offense leading to enmity, fear, hatred, prejudice, anti-one-up (hence elitist)-culture and so on.
11. i.e. as universal creator/regulator, unselected because IT operates as basic ordering device prior to group formation, to wit: the God Ground of Meister Eckhart. In essence this is the God of ‘vox populi, vox dei.’
12. Later she will claim, specifically as a member of a religious group, that she was selected by her God to propagate an upgraded (hence aristocratic or elitist) relative survival capacity elaboration, obviously to her survival advantage.
13. Every formal quantum in the universe including the universe itself happens as niche manifestation of a basic and fundamentally blind creation algorithm (or automaton) set in automatic re-action by, possibly, the Big Bang interacting within a densely packed quantum condensate.
14. The pantheist’s God, like Justitia, is as just as IT is blind. The ancient Indians called ITS just, because blind decision making, i.e. selection procedure, KARMA.
15. ‘Chosen’ meaning: selected via trial and error and which results in relative survival capacity.
16. More likely by her group elders, elsewhere called the Elohim, later compressed to the originally Sumerian single El and later still adapted to Arabian circumstances as Allah.
17. In fact in relation to non-group individuals, i.e. outsider, those excommunicado, the group rules-as-God to not apply, i.e. are suspended, and Pan’s rules, specifically those relating to the merciless brutality of the food chain, are invoked and carried out.
18. Namely vox populi.
19. The pantheist’s God happens as a wholly distributed network and is, therefore perfectly democratic. The henotheist’s God acts as tyrant whose rule is perfectly centralised, i.e. focussed an her.
20. In other words, her claim to superiority, derived from a set of upgrades survival rules that run her super-group elaboration, is loud and shrill because of her one-up-the-food-chain (hence elitist) relative survival capacity advantage. She as local one-up Lord, represents God as ultimate predator (i.e. feeder) who preys (i.e. feeds, so the Upanishad) on his own creations.
21. Because acting as defined, hence certain quantum.
22. Meaning her local survival upgrade app.
23. Or local survival apps.
24. The henotheist espouses the politics of divide and rule with the intention of gaining a relative survival advantage (hence lordship) over those unity loving Pan serving serfs who are ripe for the picking.
25. Until proven not good. They are good because they have survived to become whole quanta, hence capable of contact and generating moments of realness.
26. Or ‘fitter’, so Spencer.
27. That is to say, as set of elaborated surface rules designed to give her super-group or horde or football team a survival, meaning winning advantage.
28. The henotheist’s group as a whole, hence as a random quantum, responds in the natural world, that is to say, in Pan’s domain not with its internal, hence cultural rules, but with Pan’s rules, the prime ones being ‘Trial by Mortal Combat’ and ‘Survival of the Fittest’ whereby the henotheist, because operating upgraded group rules, thus presenting as a smarter, quicker quantum, weaponises (or monetises) her upgraded group rules to gain a survival advantage.